Rebelmouse

Sunday, October 9, 2011

VeganMofo #5: "Fried" rice cooked in rice cooker

Did you know you could cook a whole meal in the rice cooker? For the longest time, I've only cooked rice in it. But now I throw veggies in and voila, I've got "fried" rice!

Rice cooker "fried" rice
Just dice any veggies you've got in the fridge and throw it in with the rice and water, add a bit of soy sauce or your choice of seasoning, push the cook button and relax while the machine does the cooking for you. Here I've used cauliflower, onion, corn, and cabbage. When it was ready to serve, I garnished it with cut up nori sheets and a sprinkle of roasted pine nuts. I love that there's no oil needed like in regular fried rice.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I never thought about doing this, and have recently been attempting to lower the amount of oil I use. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea! I only ever cook plain rice or quinoa in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no clue I could cook more in a rice cooker. Good to know! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing lovely! xox

    ReplyDelete