Rebelmouse

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kitchen Gadgets

One of the first kitchen gadgets we got for the house was a budget Oster blender. It's a heavy thing because the jar is made of glass, but at least I don't have to worry about BPA. In the summer when strawberries were overflowing at the local farmer's market, I made a few strawberry-banana smoothies. Nowadays, it's used mainly to make mac n cheese. The only caveat I have for this blender is that the bottom cap that screws in the blade cracked and broke within 6 months of use and we had to buy a replacement. So if you're in the market for a new blender, check the sturdiness of the cap! If it's thin plastic, move on. And for this novice cook, there's no difference between all the 10-speed buttons on there. I just keep pushing any like a mad scientist until my food is the right texture, LOL!
Next we have the Magic Bullet that we got as a gift from my bro and sis-in-law. I love how small and easy to clean it is compared to the blender and I've made pesto, guacamole, and salsa with it. If you've got any good recipes or tips for using this gadget, do share!

Most recently, we splurged on a juicer that was 40% off at Macys.com. We drink a lot of store bought juice and I've recently read it's not as healthy because it's processed, contains preservatives, artificial sweeteners, etc. Hopefully this will get us in the healthier habit; will report back once it's delivered and used. ;-)
Looks mean, doesn't it?

I'm also in the market for a bread maker. It's so hard to find vegan bread unless you go to a specialty store or Whole Foods, and that's just not convenient or economical all the time. Laloofah has kindly directed me to Consumer Search site to start my research. If anyone has recommendations or tips, please let me know!

Lastly, there's a ice cream maker giveaway over at Ginger is the New Pink. Now wouldn't it be fun to win one of those? I don't know where I'm going to stash all my kitchen gadgets but I'll deal with that problem later. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment