Rebelmouse

Friday, September 5, 2014

VeganMoFo 2014: #2 Pineapple Fried Rice


Ever since I ate pineapple rice in a restaurant served in a carved out pineapple, I've never forgotten it. Here is my vegan interpretation with help of mock shrimp bites that add color and a fun chewy texture to the dish. 


I eyeballed the recipe and it goes something like this:

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small shallot, minced
1 can pineapple chunks, or freshly cut
Half bag of shrimp bites
1 cup cashew, toasted
4 cups cooked rice
1 tsp tumeric
spring onion for garnishing

Sauce:
2 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp pineapple sauce

It's best to use day old rice but I made mine a couple of hours before cooking and stuck it in the fridge to cool and dry out a bit. 

Heat a bit of oil in a large pan then add garlic and shallot. Fry until lightly golden. 

Add the vegan shrimp bites and cook until it's heated through, 1-2 min.

Add the cooked rice, using hand to unclump it if necessary. Add tumeric and toss around to distribute yellow coloring evenly. 

Add sauce, pineapple, and cashew. Mix well. Add spring onion when just about done. 

Authentic recipes add raisins but I don't like raisins in my rice so I left it out!

Please note I made four cups of rice so that we could eat it for two meals. Saves time and effort!


These are the bunny residents. They too wish you bon appetite! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment